Powell River Charters and Tours
Your host Marvin an avid sport fisherman will tell you the fishing is great but setting the hook is the key to success. Everything needed for an angling vacation is here. Other coastal areas may claim to have the biggest fish but because of the hard work of the Powell River Salmon Society and Lang Creek Hatchery Powell River has more fish! Due to mild weather Salmon fishing is pursued year round. While Feeder winter Chinooks are present during the winter months the fishing really gets started in late spring when the migratory Chinook salmon arrive on the east side of Texada Island The northern tip of the Island known as Coho Point holds big fish, best fishing from June thru August. A short distance away is Harwood Island. The fishing is good all around the Island but watch out for the seals they can't wait to steel your catch. Fighting a 200lb+ seal chewing on your salmon is a challenge even for seasoned fishermen. Grant's Reef another favorite spot is just 10 minutes west of Harwood Island. If you enjoy jigging rock cod and snapper are plentiful here.
Best fishing is at the end of the season when mature spring are finding their way to home waters in late August and early September. The fish stack up like cordwood in front of Westview, the Hulks and Lang Creek. Visit the Westview boat launch on any warm summer evening in August around 9 pm and watch the sport fishermen bring in their catch.
Fresh water fishing is plentiful on Powell lake, Inland lake and Lois Lake.: Best fishing is April thru July. Spin-cast or troll for cutthroats (cutty's) the most sought after freshwater fish by anglers because of its size and fight. When spincasting or trolling take a good supply of Gibbs Willow Leafs, Luhr Jensen Ford fenders or the Panther Martin Fly. Try the old faithful Gibbs Cowichan spoon and the Gibbs Croc Brass Firewing.
Back country Fly fishers should bring along their chironomid patterns, elk hair caddis and a supply of Tomm Thumbs. Olive or burgundy leech, or burgundy wooly bugger patterns or try the McLeod stickleback for a colossal fish.
North of Powell River is the fishing village of Lund B.C known
as the gateway to Desolation Sound. There are many ways to explore the sea.
Visitors can charter boats for fishing, sightseeing/dinner cruises,
diving and kayak adventure tours. Pristine Charters offers lunch and dinner cruises. Set the prawn
traps on your way and enjoy the fresh prawns when you return. Highly recommended by our guests.
Powell River Sea Kayak and Terra Centric Coastal Adventures tours offer hourly kayak rentals, lessons and guided day trips to the Copeland Islands, Okeover Inlet and Desolation Sound Marine Park. Enjoy exploring the most protected and scenic coves and inlets on the West Coast.
- Pristine Charters 604-483-4541 www.pristinecharters.com
- Undercover Adventures - Dave Timms 604.483-1057
- Gail Warning Charters 604-414-8262 www.gailwarningcharters.com
- Beyond the Road Adventures www.beyondtheroad.com
- Y-Knot Boat Rentals. 604-483-3243 canoes, runabouts 17ft speedboat in Okeover.
- Cooper boating 1-888-999-6410 www.cooperboating.com based in Grief Point. 5 day sailing lessons, bareboat or guided available Salt & Power instructions. 32 ft - 44 ft.boats.
- Discovery Tours www.desolation.ca 1-877 551-2628 offers 5hr. sight seeing excursions.
- Lund water taxi ( to Savary Island.) www.lundwatertaxi.com
- Kayak Rentals:
- Powell River Sea Kayak www.bcseakayak.com"
- TerraCentric Coastal adventures www.terracentricadventures.com Certified instructors daily expeditions.
- Mitchell's Canoe & Kayak www.canoeingbc.com
- Skeeter Jack’s Canoes, Kayaks and pedal boats 604-4871997 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Foot Print Nature Explorations offers guided nature hikes in Wildwood and Kayak tours. www.footprint-natureexplorations.ca
- Alpha adventures kayak tours and lessons. www.outdooradventurestore.ca
- www.proutdoors.com Visit the Outdoor (PRO) Powell River Outdoors shop. Just ask the fishing expert Sam for daily updates about where to find the big fish and what you need to catch them. 14ft aluminum boat and equipment rentals.
- Fish Hatcheries:
- View Chinook, Coho and pick chum spawning mid September at Lang Creek Fish Hatchery on highway 101 south of Powell River Watch for the Fish sign.
- The Sliammon Creek Hatchery is located on highway 101 north of Powell River. You can look through a window into Sliammon creek with a clear view of salmon swimming and spawning in the creek. The entire complex is wheel chair accessible for tours call 604-483-4111 or www.discoverpowellriver.com
- Powell River is know as the Dive Capital renowned for excellent visibility and year round diving. Powell River’s most famous diving attraction is the Emerald Princess a three-meter bronze sculpture anchored in 18 meters of water off the shore at Saltery Bay Provincial Park.